Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wastewater Grit Pumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnWeal

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2012
GB
Good Morning,

We have a requirement to pump out grit from a sump which is 4.5m deep. The water level is controlled with a bottom water level of 0.6m and a top water level of 1.6m.

There are two pumps in the wetwell which operate on a duty / standby basis.

Adjacent to the wetwell is a 1m deep valve chamber where each of the pump discharge pipelines has a non-return valve and isolating knife gate valve before the two pipes join and distribute the grit-laden effluent to three screw classifiers.

I would like to say at this point that I have always used drywell grit pumps such as a Wemco C-cup impeller. But the Chief Engineer does not want to introduce additional civil engineering costs.

But the question is regarding the discharge pipeline non-return valves. To prevent the duty pump back-flowing through the standby pump it is usual to install a non-return valve.
Has anyone had any experience of the reliability of non-return valves for grit effluent duties in terms of seating reliability and erosion?

I would be grateful for any recommendations in terms of a company and valve specification.

Regards
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

John,

A couple of questions.

What is the concentration of the solids?
What is the nature of the solids? Sand, gravel , leftovers from industrial process etc?
What is the flow rate?

You are correct in that you will need a non return. When you have used a Wemco in the past do you not put a non return in the line even if you are not doing duty/standby?

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back