Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wastewater Master Planning - Commercial Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

222rem

Civil/Environmental
Apr 11, 2013
US
I am estimating the amount of wastewater that a future Commercial area will produce. This area is zoned for retail stores, banks, restaurants, ect...
Can someone tell me where I can find good reference material for this. This project is in southern Utah, includes 60 acres, and is currently undeveloped. I am designing the sewer main lines to this area and need to estimate the flows generated from this site. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This should get you started on the basics. The below link is for military projects.
You also should get the Ten States Standards for wastewater. I don't know if Utah references these in their administrative codes, but many states do. It should be available free on the internet.
The several states in which I have done studies have state administrative codes dictating how much wastewater is generated for different types of development. You should be able to google them, although they can be tough to find.
Your mentor or supervisor should have the available state codes and should be able to provide you with some guidance. The UFC document should at least narrow down your questions.
If you don't have anyone senior in your office who has the codes and has done this before, you really shouldn't be designing a sewer main system.

jgailla,
Thanks for the information. I have the codes for Utah and they give guidance how much waterwater is generated for different types of development. However they assume the development has already be master planned. In other words the flows are based on things like number of employees for shopping center or number of customers for restaurants ect. In my case I have raw undeveloped land so I'm having to make some wild estimates in order to use the states information.

Look at another development in the same area or an area with the same population numbers. Plans should be on file in some government office. Then actually visit the development and see what was built. sometimes you just have to go outside and look.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back