Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water, Azeotrope and Hydrofluoric Acid solubility in iso-Butane

Status
Not open for further replies.

STex

Chemical
Dec 27, 2012
US
We had a water excursion on our HF Alky recently, which after everything settled down, led to some discussions. I can find curves for the solubility of HF in iso-Butane and I can also find curves for the solubility of water in iso-Butane. I have not been able to find a curve or a means to calculate the solubility of both HF and water or even the HF-Water azeotrope and HF solubility in iso-Butane.

If I have 90% HF and 1% water how much of each will each will be soluble in the iso-Butane at a given temperature? If the water increases to 10% and the HF decreases to 85% how much of each will be carried out with the iso-Butane? It is apparent that the iso-Butane does not take all of the water/azeotrope as the circulating acid retains some water. It is also apparent that the iso-Butane still takes significant quantities of HF beyond what is taken as part of the azeotrope.

Insight, guidance and or direction would be appreciated to help me determine how much water/azeotrope and HF and be conveyed iso-Butane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back