Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Water Content in Gasoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

padovano

Petroleum
Dec 13, 2006
CM
Dear All, am working as operations engineer of an atmospheric distillation unit. Recently, the water content of light and heavy gasoil coming out from their respective coalescer drums gave a value of 0.1% for a maximum value of 0.05%. I reduced the stripping ratios of the 02 gas oils by half but I still obtained the same results. I sampled the light and heavy gas oils before and after their various coalescer drums and found out that the water content before and after the drum was 0.1%. I would like to know if this can be as a result of dysfunctionning of the coalescer mesh in the drum.
( The flow meter of stripping steam has been checked, the temperature of coalsecer drums are ok, around 35°C,).
Also I would like to state that even though the stripping ratios of light and heavy gasoils are the same, 20kg/t, the appendix of the drum of light gasoils fills up every 24 hours with water. This water is rapidly evacuated by the on-ff valve while that of heavy gas oil takes about 10 days to fill up. ( Draw temperature of Heavy gas oil, 330°C and that of light gas oil is 270°C, the temperature difference between the draw temperature and the bottom temperature of the 02 stripping columns is 15°C, temperature of stripping steam 380°C and 4 barg pressure, pressure of coalescer drums 2.1barg).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although water collects in the boots, the outlet nozzles of the gas oils should protrude inside the vessels to keep water from entering the oil offtake nozzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back