Water cooled reactors and chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesemann-team

Electrical
Oct 31, 2018
NL
Good morning, all!

I am looking for a customized solution concerning a watercooled reactor/choke. This is not the heat-exchanger solution but an actual water pipe having water flowing through it with an external water feed connector that cools down the windings of the choke. Does anyone know a manufacturer (preferably based in Europe) where to get a solution for this?

Hoping to get some feedback, it's a current request from one of my customers, thanks!

K.R.
Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not know of a manufacturer. But have seen such solutions at Sandvik and Tata Steel. There, they are used for coils for inductive heating. In the MW size. So, I would visit the sites of manufacturers of inductive heating.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

What is current and the voltage drop across the choke?
If the voltage is low enough you may use a choke conductor with the water flowing through the conductor.
I once installed some custom systems to supply current to a heating element cast into a platinum disk.
The clamps that made contact with the ends of the heating element, the bus bars from the transformer to the clamps and the transformer itself were all water cooled.
The transformer secondary was one turn of a heavy copper bar with a water passage drilled through from end to end.
The bus was concentric with a copper rod inside a heavy wall copper pipe.
The water passed through the clamps, then through the annular space between the rod and the outer pipe and finally through the transformer secondary winding.
This solution will only work for very low voltage applications.
You may consider an oversized core with plastic tubing passing through holes punched in the core.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Hi all, thanks for your support. I have some specifications ready, now I am still looking for some manufacturer. See below for more info:
1-phase AC inductor
Application : inductor for frequency converter AC ripple filter
Duty type : S1 (continuous duty)
Winding isolating level : U 1.1kV
Inductance : L 10uH
Tapped inductance : 3uH
Tolerance : % ±10%
Load per component
Frequency component : f 100Hz
Rated current : Ir 600A
saturating Top peek current: ILmax 1000A
Rated voltage : U 1000V
Frequency component : f 4kHz
Rated current : Ir 10A Peek-peek
Total load
Thermal current : Ith 600
Peek current load : Ip 600A
Inductance frequency spectrum: f 0-4kHz
Protection degree : IP00
Cooling : WF
Ambient temperature : 40°C
Insulation class : F
Temperature rise : F
IL AC : as is standard
Winding type : CU
Inclusive : thermal switch TRIP (NC)

Any clues who could be able to build this? Appreciate your help, guys!
Thanks, Alex

Iron core? Or no core? At 10 A[sub]p-p[/sub] @ 4000 Hz, I wouldn't care too much about inductive heating. At least not if rated current is 600 A[sub]RMS[/sub] @ 100 Hz.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Hi guys,

Just as a follow up I have found a suitable solution and I was able to provide it to my customer. Thanks for thinking with me!

Have a great day

K.R.
Alex

Skogsgurra already has provided some useful hints that the technology of inductors with direct liquid cooling is quite similar to induction furnace coils. Usually the cooling fluid is not water, but a mixture of water, glycol and some additives preventing corrosion and controlling conductivity. In induction heating voltages up to 3000 V are common.

Liquid cooled inductors are used in the inverters for induction heating, either in the DC-link of a current source converter or at the inverter output connecting the output voltage of a voltage source inverter to a parallel resonant circuit. The first one is quite simple to design whereas the later one is a real challenge, due to the harmonic content at twice the switching frequency.

The profiles used are quite similar to profiles used for furnace coils. On one hand the conductor (usually oxygen-free copper) has to provide sufficient cross section to keep the losses within limits, but the water channel has to have enough cross section to allow the flow of the cooling liquid with acceptable pressure drop.

There is a large offer of profiles advertised in the manufacturer's catalogs, but be prepared for large minimum order quantities ( usually 1 ton), lead times (3 months) and quite high cost per kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back