Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water Cooler Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kluchtman

Computer
Jul 24, 2008
US
Anyone know how I can convert a bottle water cooler?

I can't seem to find any products out there so I figured I could do something on my own.

I have 3, 5 gallon containers, so I thought I could use one of those as a holding tank. Basicly I was thinking of getting a small water filter system, then lead the out line into a water tight hole that I could drill into the jug. While I was thinking of that I realized that there is air in the tank that would have to go someplace when filling the tank every now and then.

So I figured I could install a small valve on top that would only open when air presses up against it. However it would then seal closed when I turn off the refile hose.

The only issue I can think of at this point is maybe bacteria build up inside the jug.

What are your thoughts on this? I am not a professional (obviously) so any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is a "bottle water cooler"?

It sounds like you are trying to convert a water dispenser that uses a bottled water supply tank into something with a continuous water supply.

The beauty of the bottle water supply is that replenishment of the water is done with a new water supply that is fresh and disinfected.

Converting this to a continuous unpressurized water supply will lead to a potentially unsanitary situation.

Yes I want to convert to a 'continuous water supply'. However the design I have described and in my head would basically mimic a bottled water tank. If my design does work, what would be the best way to clean the bottles and how often should I clean them?

I have 3 5 gallon jugs that I would like to use, however the design in my head will use a quick connect for the supply line so that I can easily switch out dirty bottles with clean bottles. Any thoughts?

Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back