Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water Distribution Network Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Builder604

Civil/Environmental
Jan 26, 2006
US
We are in need of water distribution modeling software that will enable us to model water distribution networks to determine fire flow. We will be using the software for determining fire flow at hydrants in subdivisions and any time we extend a water main. I was wondering what software you all would recommend. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I took a look at EPANET. The problem is I am not starting my network from a tank or resevoir. We are using fire flows taken at an existing hydrant. What I need to do is input those flows and pressure readings to calculate the flows at the hydrants in the proposed subdivision. I dont see how to do that with EPANET or the program we have, Mike Net v04.

You can use EPANet2 in this way. You will have to postulate one or more imaginary reservoirs or tanks set at an elevation consistent with you normal static pressure. Connect the "tanks" to your grid and use the required fire flows as demands at the nodes of interest. Then check pressures at all nodes to be sure none are less than 20 psi.

good luck

I've used WaterCAD and had to do the same thing with "converting" a residual pressure at a hydrant to a theoretical tank elevation. It isn't hard.

The only reason we used WaterCAD was that the city had purchased it and was modeling their entire network with it.

Great. Somebody is talking about EPANET2. I've found the calibration method in EPANET is completely incomprehensible.
As a work around I have calibrated a node by setting demand to actual test flow and adjusting the roughness coefficient (trial & error) of the pipe feeding the node until I could approximate the residual pressure observed in the test. It shouldn't be necessary to do this but the documentation on creating calibration files is poor and I've never been able to master it. Question: is the above a reasonable method for a simple network or do I need to learn how to write a calibration file?.

I have a project where a new building system is connected to an existing 8" waterline extension. The fire department wanted 2000 gpm with a 150% safety factor or 3000 gpm. They stopped the test at about 2500 because residual pressure was dropping below 20 psi. The contractor wants me to investigate replacing the existing waterline (not desired) or looping in a connection to another existing 6" line. Initial modeling indicates it wont work, but my model predicted substantially worse performance of the existing 8" connection than the test achieved.

I have used a program called Hidrocad for water calculation of hydrants and sprinklers. Also there is a nice program called Hidcal very useful due to the many options for simulation. This program is found in spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back