Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water jet to be deployed inside a long small diameter tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortez

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2017
CA
I am facing to solve a problem which has the proof of concept in deploying water jet (may include abrasive if needed),
however there are two constrains for a complete practical deployment;

to be deployed inside of a tube with
Diameter of 15 mm
length of tube about 150 m

I am concern of choice of hose and nozell to fit inside this tube.

Please advise if you have had any similar application. any advise on who might be willing to make a customization?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One jet? Fifteen? Some other number?
Jet velocity or pressure upstream of jet?
Radial jet? Axial jet? Some other angle?
Are you expecting the jet to pierce the enclosing tube? Or clean it? Or tickle it?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

As you first force the water jet end (nozzle) into the tube, you will face tremendous blow back and spray, unless you insert it first, then turn the water on.
Resistance will be like the "end-on" force you would calculate from a 15 mm water flow down a 150 meter hose. ALL of that force will be on the nozzle, pushing it back into your face (forcing it out of the pipe). How will you resist that force with the "hose" feeding the nozzle? That "hose" will bend and kink against the walls of the 15 mm pipe you are trying to clean, and will force against the people/equipment holding the hose, and against the "pump" holding the hose reel.

That is a very small tube for that sort of distance.

Your inner tube carrying the water ( A drawing or sketch would help a lot) would have very high pressure drop for any significant flow. A water jet / cleaning tool normally needs a high pressure drop across the jet so unless you flow is very small, your inner tube will need to resist a lot of pressure.

It doesn't sound feasible to me, but you've given us no real data to go on.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back