Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water Main 90 Bend

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniEI

Structural
Oct 15, 2020
US
I'm being told that I can't use a 90 degree bend for a new water main. I've stated that we will use thrust blocking, but I'm required to use 22 1/2's instead to make the turn. Is this just a jurisdictional thing or is it bad design to use a 90 with thrust blocking?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Type and size of pipe?
Pressure?

But looks odd to say the least. That's why they make 90 degree bends...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There are no design issues with 90 degree bends in water distribution systems. Are there other buried pipes in the vicinity of the proposed installation?

Maybe just an individual preference of whoever.

I can only guess that someone had a bad experience with an inadequate thrust block.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LOL

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Typical 8" ductile iron water main serving one street. I was under the same impression that's what they're made for.

LittleInch said:
Type and size of pipe?
Pressure?

But looks odd to say the least. That's why they make 90 degree bends...

No real constraints in the area from other utilities or structures. I'm leaning towards individual preference as well, but wanted to make sure I haven't been specifying plans incorrectly.

bimr said:
There are no design issues with 90 degree bends in water distribution systems. Are there other buried pipes in the vicinity of the proposed installation?

Maybe just an individual preference of whoever.

There are some out there that think the water flows better in 2 - 45 degree instead of 90 degree. However, there is no science behind that.

No science only makes it that much more believable to some.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back