Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah187

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2008
CA
Gents,

NFPA 2007 13

A.6.9.3.1
"Outside alarms can be omitted where the sprinkler system is used as part of a central station, remote station, or proprietary signaling fire alarm system utilizing listed audible inside alarm devices."

What the hell does this mean?

You still need one inside of the building? Correct?

Or do they mean if you are tied into a fire alarm system that has alarm bells on each floor you do not need a water flow alarm inside or outside.

Any clarifications?

Cheers,
Jeremiah

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

have to read it but it was in the 2002 also worded in some manner

thought 2002 said if you have an outside audible off the fire alarm panel/ monitoring panel you did not need another bell

and that is waht we enforce

If you have audible and visual notification devices inside the building and the sprinkler system is monitored, an exterior bell is not required.

well shoot the horse, you do something one way for fifty years and they go and change it on you

yes nfpa 13 does not specficy where the noise maker has to be

so it can be inside or out

and if you have a monitoring. fire alarm with an audio on it you are good to go

How many folks as soon as they hear an alarm bell ringing pick up the cell phone and call 911 to report a fire???

NOT MANY

Way back when many times the only alarm the sprinkler system had was a local bell and MAYBE the night watchman would hear the bell and investigate, OR the walking beat cop would hear the bell.

Boy have times changed.....

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

I think the problem is that people assume that a fire alarm is always contacting the fire department. Why would I call? The FD is already on the way if the alarm is going.

I blame Hollywood for their bizarre take on fire protection. I also love dealing with the mistaken impression that a smoke alarm will start every sprinkler head in the building, and that a single sprinkler head will also start every head in the building.

Something to think about:
Even though 13 allows the exterior alarm to be omitted when the building has a fire alarm system monitoring the sprinkler system, consider the responding firefighters.
I have been requiring an external horn/strobe attached to the sprinkler flow switch for many years as a means of making it easier for the firefighters to find the building and and the riser location.

jeremiah:

You said"

"
A.6.9.3.1
"Outside alarms can be omitted where the sprinkler system is used as part of a central station, remote station, or proprietary signaling fire alarm system utilizing listed audible inside alarm devices."

Now which part of this is not clear?

The purpose of the outside alarm is to assist responding fire department to find where to go (find the entrance door etc.). This is more important when there are many ajdacent buildings.

What the above requirement meanst that if the fire system reports to a central station/security station (attended location) who can receive the alarm and would be notifying and/or assiting fire department when they arrive or even via phone/radio coomunication, you can omit the outdoor alarm.

Just having audio-visual notification devices in the building to evcuate the occupant is not a substitute for a central or remote station or a proprieatary system!!

I wonder if the people who wrote A.6.9.3.1 assumed the central station, remote station or proprietary system can provide details regarding the system or riser which is active. This is not always the case; some fire alarm panels simply activate the system dialer, but do not indicate to the monitoring station which system or device at the facility is active.

The external water motor gong or external electronic bell assists the plant employees, security guards and/or fire fighters during the initial stages of a fire incident. The external audible alarms are VERY beneficial when you consider the importance of a prompt response by the Emergency Organization and/or fire fighters during a real life fire incident.

This is less important for small locations which only have one system; however, the external alarm would assist the fire fighters in their efforts to find the sprinkler riser at a facility they have never visited before. During the early stages and after the fire has been controlled. It is rather difficult to follow the sprinkler piping at the ceiling level (to locate the riser) inside a building which is full of smoke.

I think external fire alarms (WMG or electric bell) should be required for all water-based fire protection systems, but this is currently not the case.

I am sure the intent was to have a means of notifying passersby that the sprinkler system has a flow. With a fire alarm system, there is much greeter chance someone will be notified and can respond to the flow condition. Soemtimes there is no fire, or the fire was put out, but someone needs to close the valve and make repairs.

I agree we first preventers must keep the first responders in mind and I like the idea of a strobe above the FDC to help them find it, especially at night. I have one fire department who makes it a standard comment on sprinkler system reviews. Unforetunately, as a plans examiner, I can only relay the message and not require it. Very few building owners balk at the device.

Don Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back