Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water purification 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordon46

Aerospace
Aug 18, 2006
US
I need to find a cheap way to keep the water at a calibration facility for flowmeters clean. Chlorination is not an option because the water is dumped from time to time into the local sewer and I am told that this will not fly with the city. If anybody has a enviornmentaly sound solution that is cheaper than getting a bigger filter & pump I would sincerly appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If by "clean" you mean biologically clean, then ozone sanitation might be an option in what I read from your post as a closed loop system.

Orenda

You can take care of suspended solids with alum. You can do dechlorination with SMBS before draining to sewage. You can do the dechlorination in the same tank that is used for collection of water after calibration. TDS may not be a problem in your case. Suggestions will be more helpful if you exactly describe what quality you want.

Not so fast with the alternatives.

You best solution is still chlorine. It is very very doubtful that the city will object to chlorine unless you are dumping thousands of gallons at a time. The chlorine is probably not long lasting in the sewer either as it would be immediately dissipated.

Even if you are dumping thousands of gallons, you can quite easily remove the chlorine in an environmentally friendly manner with vitamin C, ascorbic acid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back