Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water quench 8620H?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcz

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2002
US
I am making a replica of an 1880s vintage single-shot action. I've machined the structural parts(receiver,breechblock) out of 8620H barstock. I want to "case-color" harden these parts which involves pack carburizing in bone&wood charcoal and a water quench out of the furnace. Most sections of the parts are around 1/4"thick. I plan to gas carburize for 30min. @ 1575F with an air cool and then pack carburize for 30min. @ 1475F and water quench to get the desired "case-color" surface finish. Finally I plan to temper at 450F for 1hr. I hope to obtain parts with .003-.007" thick 54-58Rc case and 32-38Rc core. Does this sound like a reasonable process to end up with tough wear resistant parts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

8620 is normally oil-quenched. If your parts have large or abrupt changes in thickness, you could end up cracking them.

If you have a piece of 8620 left over, you could rough-machine it to a more severe condition and attempt a water quench to see what happens.

I once cracked a fairly large 4140 forging (about 100 lb.) that was on the low side of the Cr and Mo limits, and it would not harden in oil. Rather than scrap it, I tried water, pulling it out after in had turned black. It cracked anyway, but it did harden!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back