Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WATER SEAL INSTEAD OF STEAM TRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsuengineer

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2006
US
I would like to use a water seal instead of a steam trap. I will design the water seal "p trap" at the highest pressure I expect. This pressure will be 1.75 PSIG or 49 inches w.c. I included a 1 PSIG or 28 inch additional water column above the water seal to aid in back pressure issues. Please see attachment. I am essentialy designing a condensate lifting loop but it is sized to NOT lift the condensate out and prevent steam from escaping. The water seal will be used on a humidification dispersion panel tubes with inlet steam at 1.75 PSIG. My concerns are water hammer, creating a vacuum and filling the dispersion panel tubes with condensate...any others out there. Plus its unconventional.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not used a water seal as a steam trap before, but my biggest problem in the past with using water seals has been detecting and recovering from blow outs. In your case a blow out of the seal will allow live steam to be discharged. Make sure that it is in a safe area.

The two ways I have used to recover from a blow out are to close a valve at the outlet, or to have a water make up line permanently connected. I share your concern over water hammer if you refill the leg with cold water while in operation. If you use the valve system consider installing a bulls eye sight glass so that you can see when the level is established. It might be a good idea to have the sight glass anyway.

I don't know what your flowrate is, and 1/2" might be big enough, but such piping is flimsy and it might be worth putting in a 1" line just for the mechanical strength.

Katmar Software
Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back