Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water storage tank and control valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceseng

Civil/Environmental
Dec 6, 2008
US
I am working on a water distribution modeling, the software I use is WaterCAD V8i.

on my model file, there are 7 Ground storage tanks, one pressure sustaining valve on the feed line of each GST.

what is the use of the pressure sustaining valve? I check the Bermad control valve catalogue, it is not a standard application for puting PSV on the feed line of GST. PSV is used to maintain the upstream pressure, usually on the discharge side of a pump to avoid pump overrun.

I am guessing if the PSV shall be altitude valve, as it make more sense for installing altitude valve before a storage tank. I am guessing the PSV is used to represent altitude valve on waterCAD, as there is no altitude value option on the WaterCAD, is this right?

any suggestion?

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A PSV sustains back pressure. In the real world, A PSV is used on GST with altitude overide.

In the model world the altitude overide (in EPAnet) is automatic, the tank stops filling when full.
the PSV prevents the system pressure from dropping due to tank filling but allows the maximum amount of water available to fill the tank, without having to adjust a manual throttle valve.

Hydrae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back