Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water Supply System References? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cah2oeng

Civil/Environmental
Feb 29, 2004
US
Hi --

I'm am just about to switch gears in my career of high-end water resources research (academic) to the professional consulting world. One of my first projects with this new company will be putting together "Drinking Water Master Plans" for eight individual military installations. While I have a great library of books on environmental fuild mechanics and the sort, I have almost zero practical, engineering-type water supply system books. Can anybody give me a few suggestions on "must-haves" in this field?

For what it's worth, the job should entail evaluation of the present system, identification of potetial problems (i.e. inadequate redundancy, undersized lines, overdue line replacements, etc...), and planning/programming all future improvements/alterations.

So, if you have some suggestions on water supply engineering (both pipe networks, and groundwater) or water quality references, that would be great!

Thanks a ton!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While there are lots of references available my suggestion would be to begin gathering examples from other communities/systems. Each system is unique in some repsects but all will require many similar analyses. Build a small library of the best examples you can find and uses an eclectic approach to each system you will be studying.

good luck

Bentley systems book on Advanced Water Distribution Modelling is a must. Enter the Civilquiz and get a discount before purchasing. Use Epanet software with the book. Bentley's Watercad uses the same engine as Epanet so save some money there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back