Water Tank Heat Transfer with Various Scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechwill

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2013
CA
Hi all,

I have a simple question regarding to the heat transfer of a heated water tank with three scenarios

First scenario:
Air velocity, 88 ft/s at -20 F, is blowing parallel to a 8' x 16' cylindrical tank filled with water. The tank is 1/4" cold-rolled steel without any insulation. The tank is constantly heated by with 65000 BTU/hr heating elements.

Second scenario:
Air velocity, 88 ft/s at -20 F, is blowing across to a 8' x 16' cylindrical tank filled with water. The tank is 1/4" cold-rolled steel without any insulation. The tank is constantly heated by with 65000 BTU/hr heating elements.

Third scenario:
No air is blowing at the cylindrical tank filled with water but surrounded by -20 F. Same situation with the tank in dimension, thickness, and no insulation.The tank is constantly heated by with 65000 BTU/hr heating elements.

I have done an excel spreadsheet of the three scenarios, and I cannot get my head around with the heat loss due to forced convection from the first two scenarios. I was wondering if anything can go through my calculation in attachment. All the configurations and data should be in the excel spreadsheet.

Thank you in advance for anyone who spends time for helping me with this problem

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=26a5ee52-132b-4136-8e75-daa254ab59e1&file=Tank_Heat_Transfer.xls
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back