Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water treatment & distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

arj00

Civil/Environmental
Jan 7, 2003
RU
Most of my work is in the design of water distribution systems,tanks & pump stations. Several new projects the client is asking to involve more in operation & maintenance of the system ,so I need some information,software or references which I can refer to & see how I can advise my Client.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is far to general and big of a question to answer here. Are you just too lazy to find the books on your own?

Imagine if someone asked for any software or references on brain surgey - far too general of a question on such a wide and indepth topic.

There is alot of information on what you are looking for, but you need to be more specific of your needs. Are you looking for software for scheduling or predictive maintenance to help you analyze your equipment?

Let us know what your specific requirements are and we can be of more help.

Mike Bensema

Thanks for all the replies.
As I stated I need to start on this subject & mainly how to operate the system (Tanks,wells,pumping stations,main valves,etc..)on & off switches ,I heard of SACDA software how can I get more information about it,are there better software.I know there are a lot of references & book but I need few good book or references or software to start with.
Again I appreciate any suggestions.

arjo

SCADA is an abbreviation meaning Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition it is not a brand of software. Once you add data monitors and control points on your system and bring them to a central point of control then you have the makings of a SCADA system.

Your original question was asking for data on operation and maintenance but your follow up question is asking for information on methods of control.

With respect to operation and maintenance over the last 10 years the water industry has started to implement preventative maintenance and is learning lessons from the petrochemical industry. If you are looking for computerised methods of maintenance planning then you might get a better response from the mechanical group.

With respect to control - it all depends what you want to do and how you want to do it. Nearly all water supply and distribution systems can be made to operate with local control. local control can be mechanical such as pilot operated valve or it can be electronic with a PLC (Programmable Logic Control)which monitors and acts or you can add PID (Proportional Integral and derivative) controller which monitors, process and acts. You can go further with the whole system automated with a central computer doing the decision making (SCADA).

First for any project you need to define the clients requirements and operation. e.g do you want on demand 24 hour operation, constant supply etc. You can then prepare an operation philosophy. From that you (or the SCADA engineer) can prepare a control philosophy and from there you can start to design the control system.

The steps are;

1) system modelling (define what you have got)
2) system analysis (study its behaviour)
3) Develop the control algorithm(s) (methodology to generate the required control actions form the measured variables).

For software - WANDA from Delft Holland is excellent and has add on modules for control engineering. But the cost is in the order of $16000 to $20000.

I would suggest that you need to better define the requirements and objectives and then you should be able to get some better advice from the forum.

bian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back