Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WATERCAD V8 Questions - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPENG78

Civil/Environmental
Sep 2, 2008
US
Around the middle of last year I started using WATERCAD for AUTOCAD in my previous job. I recently joined a different company and I was asked to update an existing model for a a project that I inherited.

My computer was upgraded to WATERCAD V8 and as soon as I tried to open the first file, the program triggered a file conversion since apparently the old model was based on an older version of WATERCAD. I then proceeded to update the model right in the program environment. I validated and ran the model but when I saved, the program created new files rather than updating the ones that were already there.

I tried openning one of the old files with a .wcd extension (which I believe is created under the CAD companion to WATERCAD) right from windows explorer but I could not open it. Could this be because the version of WATERCAD loaded to my computer is a standalone platform? If this is the case, is there a way around it? If you are running a CAD platform, does WATERCAD create the same file type (extension) whether it is for Microstation of for AutoCAD? Its been about 6 years since I last touched Microstation. The majority of my experience lies with Land Desktop (which is what I use in my current job) but I also have some experience with Civil 3D.

Finally if I am running an AutoCAD platform of WATERCAD I should be able to load WATERCAD toolbars onto an AutoCAd or Land Desktop session...correct? Would these toolbars be loaded from the program's CUI?

I hope my thread is not too confusing and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chicopee I don't know who exactly developed it but it is now under Bentley and techinical support goes thru them.

Chicopee and others,

My understanding is that WaterCad, EPANet, and most other similar programs all derive from Hardy Cross's methods and were first encoded at the University of Kentucky in a ptgtam called KYPipes.

Yes RWF7437, that is my understanding regarding the Hardy Cross Method and U of Kentucky as been the foundation for these programs. What I did not know is that Haestad had developed the program. Thanks Francesca and RWF7437.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back