Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Watering Control Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenscrafte

Agricultural
Nov 5, 2006
US
Ok heres what im lookin for. I have built a hydroponics system for growing vegitables. I am now trying to figure out how to automate the watering system and would like to know what kind of valve I could place inline to turn the flow on and off that would be low voltage and I could use a rescued low voltage lighting timer to run? I am sure this can be done, but I really am not sure whether this is even an actuator or a valve. Any Ideas? Eventually this is intended to be a robotic self operating system

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ravenscrafte,
From your description I am not certain of voltage constituting "low voltage" and flow rates you need.
If 120 volts is low enough then I would scrounge from a discarded clothes washing machine. If you need to work with lower sources then you may need to check out sites for repair parts for recreational vehicles.
Can some portion of your system be gravity fed? If so, then you might be able to use a pump with float switch from some automotive applications.
From my experience with hydroponics, I would guess that corrosion and accretion from fertilizers will be your biggest headache with solenoid valves. A number of farm supply stores will have 12 volt solenoid valves used on ag spraying systems that will stand a fair chance of filling your wishes.

Griffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back