Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

waterline extension question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam74

Civil/Environmental
Dec 3, 2004
US
I'm working on a pavilion project in a public park. It is going to include a 700-800 ft waterline extension. The waterline extension will be off of an existing 2" PVC line that is private. The meter is near the property line which is atleast 2000 ft from the start of the proposed extension.

Would this extension really not be considered public since it is for a public facility even though it is a private lateral?

Ideally they would like the extension to be another 2 inch line for use in future expansions. From what I'm researching a wet tap of a 2" line from a 2" line is not possible. The largest I've been able to find is a 1".

What are the implications of shutting the line down momentarily and installing a tee? Is it only disinfection or would it involve sampling and approval by a lab?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is a simple matter to shut off a service lateral and then sample for coliforms after the service line is reconnected.

Many municipalities have regulations that prohibit having more than one service connection on one lateral. It would not be a good idea to make this type of connection because at some point maintenance of the line will be required and you could end up with a disagreement with the private owner over the repair costs.

so you have a 2000 LF - 2" waterline serving two customers and then another 700 LF to your point of use? I hope you are not planning on much flow or pressure.

Well I don't think anybody really knows for sure what is out there completely. I believe the line at the meter is a larger diameter and acts as a main line for the rest of the park. It actually already services 2 pavilions, a maintainence building, and a large boat dock/marina. The pavilions are only used sparingly and have to be rented. The boat dock is on a separate meter off the "main line" so the county can be reimbursed for their use.

Very confusing and yes I do need to dig a little deeper on exactly where and what size all these lines are. I'm just working on some schematic drawings and will get to the details later but I didn't want to put a note to perform a wet tap if it is not possible and was just thinking ahead on a slow day.

The 2" PVC just happens to be at a location that is convenient to use where we don't have to cross any roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back