Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Waterline Hydraulics Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEMO2000

Civil/Environmental
May 23, 2019
US
While I'm fairly knowledgeable and have utilized EPANET 2.0 for the past 20 years, I am now looking at a project with more nodes than I wish to input by hand. I am looking to make setting up the model easier than it currently is and make it more compatible with GIS and CAD software.

Two commercial packaged software that I am aware of is KYPipe and Bentley WaterGem; but, there are more out there. Does anyone have any input as to pros and cons of each. I've been looking at videos of each; but, as with anything, those are produced by/for the manufacturer and slanted their direction.

I am just looking for actual user recommendations/warnings.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've worked with WaterGEMS and InfoWater. WaterGEMS is pretty normal, standalone modeling software. It can do most things well and it's pretty straightforward to use. InfoWater is "special" in that it is an add-on to ArcMap. It's built for people who are used to using GIS software and it integrates well with that sort of software.

Pros and Cons of InfoWater compared to WaterGems, in my opinion:
Pros:
+Close integration with GIS software is useful when making maps, and for cities who are building an integrated GIS for asset management
+Database-like interface (if you want to select something, you write a *query*)
+Integration with other Innovyze products
Cons:
-Unstable (crashes often)
-Unintuitive interface

I have worked with Bentley's WaterGEMS for the last 5 years and in my experience I have found the software easy to use moreover the software is well equipped with everything that is needed out there in the job. However I cannot offer you the difference between the two, because I have not used Infowater, but I can say that Bentley's WaterGEMS is an easy tool to use in jobs that involve a large number of nodes.

Sarvesh Rahate
Water & Wastewater Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back