Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waterproofness Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

var10

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2013
IN
Hi,

I am currently trying to build a small tank to perform drip proof test as per do160g. It is pretty straight forward and simple except that it is very hard to source a supplier to do all the dimple stuff on the bottom sheet not to mention it is brass because its a one of thing. Just out of curiosity has anyone built this tank as a home experiment and do the 0.33 mm holes drip water in all seriousness? Any advice?

V.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Huhhhh... How about some deep elaboration; plus a photo or sketch.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant – "Orion"

Why would anyone try that? The results would not be certifiable, since there's probably zero calibration.

People generally buy drip boxes, since they're calibrated.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

VAR10... et All...

1. NOTE... PLEASE...

When refering to a spec, identify the spec exactly, at least one time in Your initial statement/question... after that no problem using slang like "do160g" or "-160G", etc.

The spec You are refering to is actually "RTCA DO-160G Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment".

IF You present the exact #/title for a spec/document, article, etc, then it is obvious that You have a serious starting point for the discussion... where others can shoot straight to the topic/source. Using slang or abbreviations straight away without explanations forces us to ass-u-me...

2. Hmmmm...

I wish there was...

This is the appropriate question for an "Aerospace Electronics/Electrical Engineering" forum. There is also a thread regarding circuit breakers [in this "... other topics" forum] that would be appropriate for that hypothetical forum also.

Anyone want to sponsor a "Aerospace Electronics/Electrical Engineering" [or perhaps... "Aero Electrical Systems and Avionics" forum... etc]???

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust Me! I'm an engineer!

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant – "Orion"

Wil,

It's not clear there's enough traffic to justify a separate forum.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

While it's a bit OT, I recall working on a modification for the EE bay located just below the forward galley on a particular commercial aircraft. They had a problem with coffee or water spills from the galley dripping past the floor boards and onto the avionics boxes. Had to design a drip tray with drains that fit onto the top of the avionics rack. It was tested using a tank that produced a pattern of water droplets which simulated the water drops that would come from the gaps between the galley floor panels. The design of the hole pattern in the test tank was all very scientific. Since it was a modification that could effect large numbers of aircraft, everyone wanted to make sure there was nothing about the test that would be subject to question. Passed the qual test with flying colors, and the plastic drip tray only cost a couple bucks to retrofit to the aircraft. So it was a happy ending for everyone involved.

Sorry Wil.

It doees make more sense now tbuelna. I guess we will find out soon if this test works for me or not.

Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back