Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watertight full depth concrete replacement for concrete tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty9898

Structural
Dec 8, 2003
US
Does anyone have insight on how one can obtain a watertight full depth concrete replacement for a concrete liquid retaining structure?

Is simply installing patch material against existing concrete adequate? Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use a bentonite waterstop. While I do not feel they are as good as a "rubber" type, cast into new concrete, they seem to be the best option I have seen for repair/contractor error fixing type work.

Is there any external waterproofing on or waterproofing agent in the existing concrete containment structure? If there is, then you certainly would need to match that material or use something similar.

I would suggest perhaps using a bentonite waterstop around the perimeter of the patch plus patch material containing hydraulic cement plus approriate reinforcement and dowels and adequate laps with existing reinforcement.

We used a product from Sauereisen to rehabilitate two large aeration basins. There was an evaluation of quite a few products that are normally used for manhole rehabilitation.

The basins are being used to store water for emergency use. The basins are going to be converted to treat municipal waste treatment effluent to allow use in cooling towers. The last I heard they will use the same lining.

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!

Answers:
100% Waterproof.
Standard concrete.

I'm leaning towards using the bentonite. I'm concerned about the ability to install the product on the uneven chipped concrete surface. Any experience with this?

Does anybody know the useful life of bentonite? Thanks again!!!

Saw cut the perimeter of the opening if roughness is a worry. Bentonite is a clay product with properties that last indefinitely, (expansion when exposed to water).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back