Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watertreatment Book Suggestions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambo

Civil/Environmental
Jun 5, 2003
SG
I am expecting to be moved from my present position to a new project working for the main contractor on a water treatment project. Does anyone have suggestions for general books or internet resources on water treatment works?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Integrated Design of Water Treatment Facilities Susumu Kawamura A Classic text
Theory and Prcatice of Water and Wastewater Treatment Ronald Droste
Water Treatment Handbook Degremont (Try and get an older version with all the technical data, Degremont dont give much away these days)
Water Quality and Treatment Letterman (AWWA)
US Corps of Engineers website

Zambo

I am also in a similar situation where I have been with my company for three years now and am finally getting the opportunity to be the project manager for a small scale project – expansion of the operations building for a water treatment plant. My experience is not in water treatment and so, I am a little nervous about this. Any tips on what I should read or what I can do to prepare myself for the upcoming challenge?

Moonstone,

I have been checking the internet regarding stanier's advice on water treatment books. I will make my decision and order a couple of books this weekend. I find that books combined with practical experience make work easier and more interesting. However, for a contractor the books should not be too design orientated.

On a more general note you should find out whether a standard form of Conditions of Contract are being used for your project. There are good guides to assist you with the contractual requirements. One of the first things to do is to read the Contract to ensure you comply with the dates given for submitting a programme, quality plan etc. It will only take you a few hours to work through the contract and to list all the submittals that have to be made and the time periods for these.

Another point which is helpful, but some companies object due to the cost, is to have a copy of the various engineering standards that are mentioned on the drawings or the contract on site. It is then easy to ensure that you and your subcontractors are complying with the requirements.

So much to say and so little time - perhaps someone else will be able to offer more advice.

Zambo,
Thank you for your advice. I am planning to buy a few books myself. We will be providing CM services for this project. I do not know much about the project right now, but, will soon find out. I guess I am nervous because I have never started a project and been the sole person incharge, but there always has to be a first time.

My advice to potential project managers is that it is not all about thrashing your suppliers and sub contractors to bring the job in at the lowest price.

-Pay attention to Planning
-Selection of quality suppliers and sub contractors
-Prefer quality ocontrol over quality assurance
-Dont stuff around at the astart of the job, everyday saved there is a day saved at the end of the job and thats where you make your money
-Every $1 spent in concept design is worth $10 is detail design, is worth $100 in procurement, $1000 in condstruction, $10,000 in commissioning and $100,000 fixing up stuff ups and finally $1 million if you end up in court.
-Let the field resources comment on the design for constructability and maintenance but dont let them change the design after that; unless it contravenes a code, the contract or the law, also if it wont work. If they change it to save a few bucks make sure time and cost of re engineering are borne in mind when considering field requests for changes. Most times it is not worth the effort to implement changes that late in the day.

Moonstone,

interested to hear about your project when you have more details. I am currently working on an elevated road, the water treatment project is planned for February 2006. It may be that plans will change in the interim so I will not be investing too heavily in books.

I have ordered the following book as it seems to cover a good range of topics and is reasonably priced: Basic Water Treatment: 3rd Edition £ 25.00 .If the new project is confirmed I will then buy Water Treatment Handbook - Degremont as a more comprehensive reference.

Stanier, thanks for the advice - I will follow it. I'm now working in Asia and found Wastewater Technology, Fifth Edition by: Mark J. Hammer in the local book shop, equivalent of $15. It will give me enough information for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back