wave equation analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

h1pat

Geotechnical
Sep 28, 2001
US
help needed...
need to know IN DETAIL wave equation analysis...
i know that it is related to pile analysis...but how it works??
also, is there any software related to it? if yes, please direct me about it and its manual..
any refrence material is appreciated..
thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A very general question and here is an equally general response

Get a copy of United States Corps of Engineers's great publication on Coastal and Harbor Engineering or whatever from the Corps

A good place to start with

regs
IJR

I think the "Wave" Equation you are interested in refers to the "wave" generated by the impact hammer driving a pile. In general the pile is modeled by a series of spring and the soil by springs and dashpots. Knowing the wave traveling up and down the pile (tension and compression waves) and the energy loss along the way etc., the equation can establish a list or graph of blow-count versus ultimate pile capacity relationship. You can also do a drivability of the pile as it penetrates the soil. Using computer to solve the wave equation was discussed by Smith in ASCE Journal for Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Vol 86, SM4, pp 35-61, 1960. Up to about 1987, the WEAP (Wave Equation Analysis) program was sponsored by FHWA and available to the public. I think now you can only get the WEAP through the commercial source. One such program is by Goble Rausche Likins and Assoc. They may have some kind of manual or book if you need some in-depth reading.

Thanx kll

I wrongly assumed h1pat is looking for wave phenomenon applicable to movement of water in oceans and responded accordingly.

h1pat: Forgive me for the error.

respects
IJR

For indepth understanding of the origin of the wave equation, see the following:

Lloyd Hamilton Donnell
'Longitudinal Wave Transmission and Impact'
Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1930
Applied Mechanics, pp 153-167

Eward A. L. Smith
'Impact and Longitudinal Wave Transmission'
Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1955, pp 963-973

Eward A. L. Smith
'What Happens When Hammer Hits Pile'
Engineering News Record, Sep. 5, 1957, pp 46-48

Eward A. L. Smith
'Pile-Driving Analysis by the Wave Equation'
Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 1962, Vol 127, Part 1, pp 1145-1193

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back