Status
Not open for further replies.

wfjer

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2008
EC
Hi,
I need to find a solution to the following problem:

A 45000 bbls water storage tank has a 24" water inlet, the water that enters the tank is causing a lot of waves. These waves are causing damage to an oil skimmer float located in the surface of the water.

Our client wants to find a method to avoid these waves, any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An entry diffuser or baffle. We put a piece of perforated pipe with a closed end as an extension (from the i.d. of the tank) on the inlet to a large tank here at work, and it was quite effective.

I've also seen "drop-in" ball baffles, they look easily copied to work in various materials, and are advertised as being very effective anti-slosh baffles (but I have no direct experience, just looks like a good idea).

Assuming this is a horizontal inlet, a pipe extension into the tank with a closed end and slots or holes along it's length will take care of you. Make the slot area equal to the fill rate in cubic feet per second divided by 3 feet per second. Space the slots apart by the length of the slot or more. Put the slots on the horizontal centerline of the pipe, on both sides, staggered. Make the slot height about 2" to 3" high. Block off the end with a suitably thick, removable plate. Support the pipe such that it can not move up or down more than 1/2" or so

Hey, thanks!!

With respect to the tank:
It has a 87'-10" diameter, the inlet is horizontal at 4' from ground and the flow is 200000 BWPD.

Once I follow your suggestions I think a 24" perforated pipe inside the tank with 100 holes 2" per pipe side (200 total) should work.

Yes IFR .. thanks for the opportunity for thinking about it again .. I'd like to make clear that by "supported off the tank wall" I don't necessarily mean vertical loads only. One should take care that any horizontal action=reactions are not increased, or are resisted by something other than the tank wall.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back