Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wavy washer datum curves. Kinetivision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selim

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2001
GB
Hello I wonder if anyone can help me on this.
I am trying to create a wavy washer, however I do not want to use a variable section sweep as the thickness of the part does not stay constant.

I saw a different way of doing this on Kinetivision before it became a pay service.
I have been looking at their site to see if it is worth me paying for their service however I cannot see the point of spending the money for the solution to one problem.

However this is where I need help, from what I can remember you create a cylinder with quilts then you form a datum curve onto the cylinder. Finally creating a sweep using the formed datum curve.

The part I get stuck on is the formed datum curve. I need a sine wave.
I have tried creating a spline but it is a pain to modify.
Would I be right in thinking you create a relation using trajpar and sin.

Can anyone help on this?

Thank you very much for any help.

Selim

miles@acorn-engineering.co.uk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's PTC's answer to a wave spring design. Just text, sorry, no picks.

Suggested Technique for Creating a Wave Washer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure
Create default datum planes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a Protrusion and choose Advanced, Solid, Var Sec Sweep, Pivot Dir. When Done is selected from the Sweep Options menu, the PROTRUSION:Variable Section Sweep Dialogue Box will appear indicating the variables to define for feature creation. Select DTM2 as the Pivot Dir Plane. Select Sketch Traj from the VAR SEC SWP menu, select DTM2 as the sketching plane and DTM3 as the Bottom reference. Sketch the spine as a circle and align and dimension appropriately. The resulting sketch should look like Figure 1.

When prompted to specify another trajectory, select Done and the sketching plane for the section will appear. Sketch a Rectangle whose vertical edge is coincident with the vertical axis of the origin of the sketch and whose horizontal edge is slightly higher than the horizontal axis of the origin of the sketch. Create a height and width dimension for the rectangle and a vertical dimension to control the height of the rectangle above the horizontal axis. The resultant sketch should look like Figure 2.

Add the following relation while in Sketcher:
sd5 = sin (trajpar * 360 * #) * h

Where "#" is the number of waves in the washer and "h" is the amplitude of each wave.
This will cause the height of the section above the axis to vary sinusoidally as the section moves along the trajectory, giving the feature its "wave" shape.

Regenerate the sketch and select Done. The resultant geometry should look like Figure 3.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back