Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ways to export Catia product

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingid

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2014
TW
Hi,
I have some problems with exporting cat files,
if I wanna let someone who doesn't have Catia see my product,
what kind of file can I export?
I mean, the man can still pan, rotate, and zoom in the file, it will be better that if parameters can be changed.
Is it possible without the software?

Furthermore, I want the same thing on the website, so people can browse it just like I do on my computer.

The version I use is Catia v5r17.
If any suggestion, please tell me.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, me again.
I have tried the 3dxml player, but I only see a solid body in it.
I can't edit, or even see the commands in model trees.

So, is there any way can export the whole product by catia v5,
and the product is able to be modified by others, like parameters?

Or should I use something new?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nothinbid,

There is no silver bullet out there that can allow you to automatically move your CATIA data to another CAD system and still have access to your part features and parameters - however, for a lot of money (100K+) and some user interaction there are at least two companies out there that will provide CAD to CAD conversion with features intact.

I know there are some groups working on a more automatic and affordable method to translate features and other "intelligence", but they will have to overcome big issues with how the different CAD vendors (Dassault, Siemens, Autodesk, PTC, etc.) describe geometry, from origin points and decimal precision to workplane systems and complex blend methodologies.

However, virtually all of the major CAD systems have feature recognition, so if you can get a valid solid model or assembly, you can often get all or most of your features back. It's not perfect, but in this MultiCAD world, it gets some of us by!

Good luck,

Brad Strong

11859 Pecos Street
Suite 310

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back