Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We have to design heating tanks whe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SShiva

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2001
CA
We have to design heating tanks where sludge is stored and heated through steam coils.This tank is to be installed in a sludge treatment unit in a crude storage terminal. The tank is a rectangular tank with a dimensions of 30'x8'x8'. Like to know what design standard to be applied to design the tank. Any vendor who is carrying the design, fabrication and erection.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

P&M,

The rectangular tank would be designed as s steel structure, much like a retaining wall. The ASME and API Tank and vessel codes would not apply (I am assuming that the tank is under atmospheric pressure)

The engineering text "Design of Steel Structures" by Omer Blodget has examples, design destails etc about this type of tank. Also, as I recall, the "Pressure Vessel Handbook" by Eugene Megyesy contains a method.

If sludge is contained, I believe your specific gravity for designs should be 1.2 to 1.4.

For a tank of this size, you should get a state registered engineer to develop and stamp drawings. At 30'x8'x8', you may be able to shop fabricate the tank.....

Good Luck !!!................................MJC

P&M,

Blodgett and Megyesy do have a section on rectangular tank design, they are easy to follow and provide a good lesson in tank design. UL 142 also touches on rectangular tank design, but only slightly.

A resource I have used quite extensively for rectangular tank design is Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain, by Warren C.Young. This is an excellent resource for many applications, rectangular and flat wall/roof tanks included. It will help you determine where you need bracing, but the design of the bracing will need to be completed with good engineering practice, or with the aid of Roark's or the AISC Manual, or other structural handbook.

Once you have your bracing locations known and sized, be sure the braces are seal welded together where they intersect, and should any of the braces intersect a fitting, taper the brace down into the fitting wall and weld the brace to the fitting. This keeps the stress path continuous and allows it to follow the brace into the anchors and into the floor/foundation. It will also eliminate stress risers in the area of the fitting.

Good luck,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back