Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weak Axis Moment Connection in OMF per FEMA 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

courtnvm

Structural
Jun 28, 2003
US
Okay, I have a little problem here. I am performing connection design for a local steel fabricator for a job in Kentucky. This job has OMF, which has a W12x65 Beam and W12x72 Column typical everywhere. The E.O.R. states in the general notes that all OMF connections must be designed and submitted by a licensed professional per FEMA 350 requirements. Well here is the sticky part: The design drawings have a W12x72 Column that has a W12x65 Moment Frame beam connecting into the flange and then anothe W12x65 connecting into the web.

Well I have researched through the FEMA 350 and the 1997 AISC Seismic Provisions and the only thing I have found is that there is not any prequalified weak axis moments connections per the FEMA 350. I believe in section 3.3.3.3 of the FEMA 350 its states that weak axis moments connections have not been prequalified and must be tested if to be used.

What would be your advice as to handling this situation. I have thought about sending a letter to the EOR eplaining as to why I cannot submit a Weak Axis Moment Connection in accordance with FEMA 350.

If there is such a prequalified connection, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much for all of your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Val Courtney,P.E.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I would do is submit to the Engineer (via your fabricator) an RFI (request for information). This is simply a request to clarify the intent of the engineer's design.

The engineer may have been somewhat flippant to say "per FEMA 350" requirements - and the monkey should be on their back, not yours, to clarify the intent as it appears they have asked for something that cannot be....such as asking for a rectangular circle.

Some areas of Kentucky are in moderate seismic areas so this is a valid question on your part.

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to consult other engineers to see what they thought. That is exactly what I am going to do.

The EOR should have known better than to just put a note like that in their drawings. I have designed many FEMA 350 Connections and they are not something you just want anyone designing. First thing that bothers me is that he didn't even put a shear reaction that I should at least start with in my FEMA 350 connection design. He shows a WUF-B type connection for the strong axis connection and a WUF-W type connection for the weak axis. Well the problem is the only tests that have gone somewhat public for weak axis moment is the Reduced Beam Section FEMA 350 connection.

Anyways, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back