Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wear plate welded to shell subjected to fatigue analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuJie_PV

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2017
CN
HI, all,
i in behalf of owner is buying a buffer tank, which is subject to cyclic pressure, totally around 500,000 cycles throughout the lifetime.
and many wear plates are requested to welded to the shell to support ladders & platforms, etc.
i have question related to these welds now: is the welds of wear plate susceptible to fatigue failure so much that we need to refuse the request to install platforms? is it necessary to evaluate the welds of the wear plates?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consider a repost in the Boiler & PV Forum where detailed questions of cyclic (ASME VIII-Div. 2) loadings are discusssed

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I suggest avoiding wear plates to facilitate in-service inspection.

Regards

I would strongly encourage you to heed r6155's recommendation to avoid wear plates (repads) for equipment in cyclic service. They are inevitably attached with fillet welds, which have very poor cyclic service behaviour. You will likely initiate a crack at either the toe of the fillet weld, or at the root. And as r6155 shared, the presence of the wear plate will make inspection incredibly difficult.

jay_pv, since you have opened (duplicated) this query in the Boiler & PV forum, please red flag and delete this one.

Thanks in advance

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back