Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wear question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterrose

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2010
US
I have micro-fiber material sliding over a surface. Can't divulge exactly what micro-fiber material is, but lets just say the material is extremely hard (hint). As it abrades the surface it's riding on, I get an iron oxide layer building up. It seems to wear the surface and expose fresh iron which oxidizes. As need electrically conductive contact between micro-fibers and surface, an iron oxide layer is not desirable.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about using stainless or even chrome?

Alternately, there's tungsten

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Can't do vacuum.

Stainless and chrome have been our go to choices when our customer asks what to make the surface out of. 90% of the time surface is just plain old carbon steel and we can't get them to change that.

Mysterrose,

How much noise are you permitted to have in the electrical contact? Anything less than semi-precious metals will develop contact resistance noise over time do to film formation. If you want good contact resistance stabilit and not outrageously priced try looking at a electroplated coating. There are several electroplated coatings that may work for you: Pd, Pd/Ni dual coating, or Ru. You can even try sputter coating these materials.

MH

Metalhead97
I don't have access to any of the data from the anode studies from out process studies. Magnetite Anodes were used early on in our process and there was extensive research into the properties of same by the electrochemical group. De Nora ,Italy, did a lot work with us in this line.
I'll try to see if I can come up with the information. This is a little harder now as they have dismantled the library and the research records are scattered.
The outcome of the research was that will the Magnetite Anode worked were were able to switch to a steel anode with higher conversion and yield in the EHD (Electrohydro Dimerization) converting Acrylonitrile to Adiponitrile.

Another point concerning the use of Magnetite is that we used to force the formation on all components that were exposed to our polymer process. This included all the SS's, mainly 430, 316, all D-2 parts. We used the method posted above, steam-sir oxidation with the exception we added an organic, in our case nylon polymer. The oxide from was time dependent as to the thickness density, slower the better.
I did do a little work using the Cl ion as catalyst to promote the formation of a very tight film of Magnetite. I didn't have that much time to devote to the project and was never able to pin down a good set of operating parameters to consistent results.
I ran a check on two of the PHds that might have a paper on their work with anodes, no joy. We were very proprietary at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back