Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wear resistant materials for coal chutes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy22

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2003
CA
I am looking for approximate relative wear lives of various wear resistant materials, such as ceramics, AR plate, Ni-Hards, chrome carbides, UHMW's, etc. I want to use the relative wear lives combined with the cost differences and ease of installation to choose the optimum wear liner material for coal handling chutes. I realize that different areas will require different materials (e.g. managanese steel in an impact area). I also realize that this is a very inexact science but I am just looking for some rough comparisons.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wear- Resist Ceramic tiles are popularly used in areas where there is no impact. However, conventionally the wear resist irons or high manganese steels are used.

Ceramic tiles are very expensive and need careful handling till they are installed.

A cost ratio of Ceramic tile to NiHard/Hi Chrome is 3:1. This is only a estimate .

Hi Andy22

I work at a deepwater transhipment terminal for coal and ironore.In our transferchutes we mount at the impact point Keraflex. That are ceramic tiles on rubber with a steelback mountingplate. Information at:
We transfer 3500 t/h with coal and 5000 t/h with ironore
The ceramic-tiles are 25mm thick and last about 10 million tons. With only coal they will last longer.
If your chutes are wide enough you can line the impact point with profiled rubber of 80° shore hardness. Information about this rubber you find at:
On the site you look for : Trellex SP-wearplates.
If you mount the Sp plates upside down they fill with coal and last at our plant 14 million tons. The thickness of the rubber is 80 mm. I tested wear products in our chutes. With these tests we found that no steel can compete with the rubber or the ceramic.

Hello again Andy22,

Its me again, Polleke.

If you realy have a wearproblem, there is one lining that is extremely wearproof.
That is Sancic, a tungstencarbide surface on nodular castiron body.
You can choose for a surface with smooth tiles of carbide or for a surface that has carbide granules in it. The granules vary in size from 1 to 6 mm. The thickness of the wearresistand surface yuo can choose from 5 - 20 mm with the granules and 5 - 10 mm with the tiles.
I started a test of 1 m2 in a trainloading station for ironore. I mounted the Sancic on the central seperationwall for two bunkers in may 2000 and it is stil operational. The ore falls from 15 mtr height on the wall.
You can find information on:
There is a dealer in the USA.
Troy, MI 800-343-0636

It is a realy expensive material, but with a wearproblem is can be a solution.

For your information, the steel wearlinings we tested are:
Arcoplate (this was the best) 5 million tons
Vautid 0.8 million tons
Castolin 2.3 million tons
Triten T200X and T237X 1.5 and 2.1 million tons
Hardox 500 1.5 million tons
Hardlite 1.5 million tons

If you view the results to ceramic and profiled rubber you see why we choose the latter two.

Greetings
Polleke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back