Web Side plate connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerRanger

Structural
Jan 17, 2005
AU
Hi Fellows

I designed a web side plate connection which 2 columns, 3 rows M20 bolt to the 250UB25.7, and 10E48SP CFW to the web of 410UB59.7. My plate size is 210x180x8. Calculate by hand follow the AISC (design of Structural connections, everything is satisfactory. But I put it in to the Limcon, it shows the error because the distance between the first row of bolt from top to the top of the flange shall be (70-100mm). But this is no this requirement in the book. Shall I follow this requirement? and if there is enough spaces for the 250UB25.7 rotate and create a flexible connection, shall I still need to meet this geometry requirement?

Thank you for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the vertical distance between beam TOS and the first row of bolts in your connection?

Also, why do you need six M20 bolts in the connection? The total shear capacity of those bolts is 556kN (assuming Grade 8.8 bolts). By comparison the shear capacity of the 250UB26 is only 214kN and the shear capacity of the 410UB60 is 548kN.

Surely one column of three M20-8.8 bolts is satisfactory to exceed the 250UB's shear capacity. One column of two M20-8.8 bolts may even be satisfactory to exceed the design shear force in the 250UB.

There is no specific criteria in AS4100 or the AISC design guide for positioning of the first bolt row. There are obviously factors influencing the position, such as proximity to a coped edge, access for a rattle gun, etc.

The examples for most bolted connections in the AISC design guide position the first bolt 100mm below beam TOS. My company's standards position the first row 85mm below beam TOS and subsequent rows at a 70mm pitch, to suit the position of horizontal bracing cleats 125mm below beam TOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back