Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

website on the calculation of the pressure drop in a reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooooo

Chemical
Dec 30, 2003
NG
i'm having a slight problem in the calculation of the pressure drop in a 4 bed reactor for the synthesis of ammonia.all other factors have been calculated.such as the height,total volume,gas velocity,linear velocity,equilibrum conversion,etc.awebsite shoing an example on how to calculate the pressure drop in the reactor will be very helpful.thanks,in anticipation of your prompt response.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ooooo:

If you have already calculated all the other important parameters (by simulation, I presume, since no one does it by hand anymore), why have you not also calculated the pressure drop? I'm asking - not to avoid your query - because this is standard procedure which you should have done already.

You haven't stated it, but I presume you're dealing with a fixed, packed bed of catalyst such as used in the Haber Process. The relationship usually used is that of:

Ergun, S.; Chemical Engineering Progress Magazine; 48, 78 (1952)

I know of no website that gives you the pressure drop. Applying Ergun's relationship should be no problem. It should be a piece of cake compared to everything else you've already calculated. If you need the equation and how to calculate with it, go to the Alcoa website and obtain their Technical Bulletin # USA/6000-R01/0797, "Estimation of Pressure Drop For Spherical Adsorbents and Catalysts".

I hope this helps you out.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back