website with challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul designer

Civil/Environmental
Nov 3, 2019
PL
Hi!

Programmers have possibly to learn and test theirs coding skills through websites like hackerrank, coderbyte and many others. Did you know any such site but for mechanical engineers? For example with strength of materials exercises, ranks, challenges.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I have seen from MIT is generally class-room captures and highly variable extra materials. They don't generally have any ability to submit work to be graded or evaluated. One huge problem, at least in the courses on mathematics and engineering, is that MIT has separate classes for presenting the concepts and for working through problems. Since the latter is where students participate significantly, I think they generally don't record those. Unfortunately it's also where the majority of worked problems are.

Still MIT does produce a significant amount of material. See also US Davis and Stanford which also put course material on line.

I didn't rather mean opencourseware, where there are only video lectures and pdfs with exercises. There's lack of interactive exercises, where you can test your knowledge and immediately get verification.

Somewhat of a sidenote, but relevant to the OP's belief those sites are useful... I don't believe they are, other than making you feel good about yourself.

Other opinions may vary, but I've found the "prove your coding skills" sites to miss the mark overall. They claim to "prove" a person's coding skills, but it's just more of the same thing learned in school... very basic in nature. I feel for the newer folk who are forced to be ranked by such systems before a company will interview them (especially when the tests are timed)... and woe to the company that thinks those systems are providing them with proper coders.

Good for practice, but not much else.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back