Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wedge-lock / Nord-lock washer vibration creeping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managuensis

Automotive
Jun 10, 2022
EE
Hello,

We have a fixation for a locator pin which is subjected to high freq. (up to 500 Hz) vibration in line with SAE J2380. We chose a wedge-lock washer against vibration. However the washer has a larger inner diameter than required (M12 to M8, see below image). We are concerned about creepage due to vibration. Considering the fact that the wedge-lock washer locks onto the surfaces it sits on with its serrations (see below image), is there a risk for creepage and eventually loss of function for the washer?

Nord-lock_2_-_Copy_2_-_Copy_fzjlvv.png

1337624_nvgjtz.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the only way you will find out is to test it.
I think it will vibrate loose because the reduced surface area between the washer and nut face and given the fact that the thin part on which the washer digs into is an aluminium alloy,(which I picked up from your previous post relating to the locating pin) and to me means you won’t be able to tighten the nut to its full extent to get the best out of the configuration.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back