Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WEIGHT changes for Magnetized metals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoronLowIQ

Electrical
Jan 12, 2020
US
Does the Weight of a piece of metal change when it is Magnetized compared to when it was not Magnetized?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you may perceive as a weight change is the Earth's magnetic field's interaction with a gigantic compass. You can obviously check if this is true by flipping the piece into different orientations and re-weighing. Likely, it'll be a tiny effect, but the Earth's field can move compass needles to align with it

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

So the mass doesn't change, but the effect of external forces may change and may change depending on the orientation in three dimensions.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

It's kind of cool, in a way; there were a series of satellites that used magnetic torquing against Earth's magnetic field to control orientation without using conventional thrusters, because they tended to be impulsive and burning fuel would change the CG of the satellite.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Gravity and magnetic fields are something that we assume because that are always here.
Years ago I worked with someone that built very sensitive accelerometers, you could put it on the floor and zero it and then put it up on a shelf and measure the change in local gravity.
Yes magnetic materials change volume with magnetization, but not mass. Of course they also change magnetization with changes in volume.
One industrial application of magnetostriction was detonation detectors in aircraft engines. A pin magnet (0.125" diam x 1" long) was tightly wound with a coil, this was installed in a blind hole in the cylinder head with one per cylinder. The flight engineer could look at these signals (one at a time on an oscilloscope) and detect detonation, and thereby adjust the fuel or timing as needed.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Most people use the words mass and weight interchangeably, so they may not pick-up on the fact that, in this discussion, they are two different things. We can't know if the OP is aware of the difference. Carry on.

Another possibility is that the magnetic field of the sample is affecting the sensors or electronics of the electronic balance. A strong magnetic field could possibly induce a Hall Effect in a strain sensor, changing the measured resistance and therefore the calculated strain (weight). Again, orientational changes in the sample would produce differing results in the balance.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back