Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weight of sprinkler systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfi

Structural
Oct 20, 2002
US
I am away from my office; can anyone confirm 6 PSF allowance for water based sprinkler system?

Regards,
Lutfi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Last time I was involved with sprinkler loads, was related to a pre-engineered building and they assumed 3 psf... same ballpark for wet system...

Dik

It's best to take a look at the piping layout, as some areas will be much more heavily loaded tahn others. Seems to me that the maximum I've found is 6 psf. Wet pipe weights:

Dia.
1" 2.2 plf
2" 5.2 plf
3" 10.8plf
4" 16.4plf
5" 23.5plf
6" 31.7plf

I've just completed a school with a sprinkler system - on the advice of the supplier I included a UDL of 0.3kN/sq.m which is approximately 6 psf.

I would agree with jmiec however and examine the pipe runs - there are primary pipes which are larger diameter (and hence heavier loaded) than the smaller secondary runs.

Always look at the pipe runs, I hate to go out on a site visit and see a 9" diameter main running parallel to a typical K series bar joist.

OUCH!

Many thanks to all. Based on my talks with Fire Protection Engineer and project layout, 6 PSF is a reasonable load.

Regards,
Lutfi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back