Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weight of T-111 panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcschmid

Marine/Ocean
Sep 19, 2002
US
Trying to quickly find the weight per sq. ft. of T-111 paneling. I lost a chimney during hurricane Jeanne. The chimney is frame construction, 36" x 36" square by 17 feet tall, with the smoke pipe running up the center. Not counting the framing it is all T-111 paneling. The chimney is in fine shape and could possibily be reused, but I am trying to determine the crane size that would be needed to reset (after I have the connections in the house inspected and rebuilt). The crane operator who lifted it off the roof said it was 2000 pounds. I think this an overestimation. Haven't been able to find it online.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experiance with T-111 is that it is a textured plywood panel in 5/8" or 3/4" thickness. I would suggest calling your local lumberyard and get the actual weight, but it won't be much different than plywood at around 1-2 psf.

T-111 comes in two thicknesses:

5/8 inch thick has grooves 3/8 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep, usually located 4 inches on center. The nominal weight is 1.8 pounds per square foot.

3/8 inch thick has "fake" grooves (they are 3/8 inch wide but have no significant depth), usually 4 inches on center. Nominal weight is 1.1 pounds per square foot.

This may apply as general rule for wood. Assume wood density is 34 to 38 pounds per cubic foot. Then do simple arithmetic to arrive at weight per cubic foot. (i.e. assume 34 PCF and 5/8 inch thick sheathing ===> 34.0 * (0.625/12) =1.11 PSF)

It is that simple

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back