Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weighted lnks in Pro/Mech

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzkoz

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2009
US
I have a fairly basic question regarding weighted links in pro/mechanica. The way I understand the link is this. I attach a surface (say a cylinder) which is the independant side to a point, which is the dependant side. The point motion is then the average motion of the surface, so if the cylder surface all moved out radially equal ammounts the point would net zero motion, or if the surface translated axialy the point would translate an equal ammount.

What are the DOF for teh link? If I choose say only the radial directions as DOF does that mean that mu surface is goingto be constrained from moving axial, or does it mean that the point will only track motion in the specified DOF?

Can a weighted link be used to constrain the model? If I had the surface of my cylinder attached to a point on the axis, and I then applied a fixed constraint to the point would the net effect be to stabalize the model in the radial but allow the cylider radius to uniformly grow and shrink?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back