Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricklayer

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2009
US
I have a posting in the Welding, Bonding & Fastener engineering section of the forum concerning weld analysis

desertfox, has posted a weld analysis method using a force per inch of weld, which looks simple and reasonalbe, I like it. When I first started the calc I was using a method out of Shigley's which used Mohr's circle to calculate the max shear stress. And I was wondering if anyone else has used the Mohr's cirlce method or which other methods are out there because all of the research and tables I found none of them addressed the combination of forces I have acting on my component.

Thanks

Bricklayer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi bricklayer

Have a look at this site for calculating weld strengths.

This example is the nearest I have seen to your situation with the exception yours is a fillet weld and not a butt weld.
There are several methods for calculating weld strengths and there is no reason that you can't use the Mohr Circle, if your just getting into calculating weld stresses you should look at all the methods and decide which is the best for you to use.
I have never used the Mohr circle for calculating stresses for me the method I gave you is the easiest to follow.

regards

desertfox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back