Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Weld Heat, heat exchanger, heat sink paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayoung802

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2008
US
In short I need to place fittings on a tank. No big deal if they weld the fittings on, then weld the tank in place followed by sandblasting and painting the inside of the steel tank.

If only things could be that easy. The sandblasters and painters are ready to get started now and the welders don't want to install the fittings until the tank is in place because of the limited space to work around. When the tank gets installed and the fittings get welded on the heat from welding will cause the paint to bubble and chip. The paint can be touched up later.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to run into this problem, has anyone attached a heat sink to the welding area to help reduce the heat? I also came across something called heat sink paste. It seems like it might help absorb the heat. Has anyone used heat sink paste before? Does it only reject a little of the weld heat or does it do a good job of rejecting a lot of heat?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem is getting sound welds if you take away too much of the heat.
Do it right, make them weld prior to prep and paint.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Blast all areas now, then mask off the areas for the nozzles. Paint.

Remove the masking and put a light coat of deoxyaluminate paint -- weldable primer -- over the nozz areas. Now your post-weld touchup will be onto blasted and primed steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back