Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld Jig Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

meterbox

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2002
US
We have several weld jigs for flat .250 thick 6061-t65 aluminum. Weld from 1 side only, approx 4.000 weld bead, .093 gap between the 2 pieces, with a C110 copper insert .031 below the opposite side. My problem is with the copper insert. They only last approx 2 weeks before needing resurfaced. Is there a material more suitable than copper?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try a ceramic backup or use thicker copper strip.
I think you are getting your moneys worth if the copper backup is lasting two weeks. The ceramic strips require a little bit of 're training' and are somewhat more fragile, but do a great job if a little expensive. Try Lincoln as they have some literature on them. I like the copper and use it on most everything---yes, I do have to resurface it from time to time. I don't know how difficult yours is to resurface but, every two weeks, assuming full production welding, sounds pretty good to me! Have you tried 'open root' welds , sans backup?

Rod

Thanks for the advice! I need to add that the purpose of the backing plate is to limit "blowthru" on that side to a max of .060, to prevent electrical clearance problems (in the final assy)without having to grind every weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back