Status
Not open for further replies.

metboss

Petroleum
Sep 12, 2012
AE
hi all,

Welding parameters are as follow:
Base metal: SA 350 LF2 (P No.1 & Gr. No.2)
Base metal thickness: 40mm
Overlay Incoly 625 and Overlay thickness: 3.5 mm
Filler metal: ERNiCrMo3 (AWS A:5.14 & F No.43)
Position: 1G
Pre-heat: Ambient & Inter-pass temperature : 200◦C max
Code: ASME IX

My question is that "PWHT is required or not ? Please advise me with code reference (ASME IX).

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, ASME B&PV Code, Section IX does not determine PWHT requirements, this is spelled out in one of the code of construction book sections, like, ASME Section I, or Section III, or Section VIII or ASME B31.1......

Second, ASME Section IX is a service code book section that provides the requirements for qualification of a welding procedure with or without PWHT, impact qualification and welder performance qualification, similar for brazing and now fusing of plastic or GRF pipe are considered.

According to ASME Section VIII Div 1, Table UCS 56, for Carbon Steel Welding:
• Preheating nor PWHT is required for plates < 1.25”.
• Preheating (200F min) can be done in lieu of PWHT for plate 1.25 – 1.5” thick.
• Preheating (200F min) and PWHT is mandatory for plates >1.5” thick.

Please review UCS 56-1 General Note 3(e)

(e) for corrosion resistant weld metal overlay cladding or for welds attaching corrosion resistant applied lining (see UCL-34)
provided preheat to a minimum temperature of 200°F (95°C) is maintained during application of the first layer when the thickness
of the pressure part exceeds 11/4 in. (32 mm).

Thanks to all,

metengrs,

so in our case, PWHT is not required if we maintain pre-heat temperature 200°F (95°C minimum ) during application of the first layer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back