Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMMY2010

Structural
Nov 1, 2020
OM
Hi all,
Hope you are all well !

I need help with calculating the excepted weld path size for a specific electrode size for SMAW GTAW and FCAW.

- For example what is the expected weld pass size for SMAW welding with an electrode that has a Φ 4mm
- The same also for expected weld pass size for GTAW with a rod that has a Φ 2.4mm
- The same also for expected weld pass size for FCAW with a wire that has a Φ 2 mm

I need these values to be use in welding consumable cost and quantity estimation especially for multiprocessor welding.

I will be grateful if you can answer with references
Thanks and Regards.
M.E.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most filler materials manufacturers have those tables at the back of one of their catalogs.
Mind that a difference in travel speed has a direct impact on weld size (I'm talking fillet welds).
For GTAW, all bets are off.

Weld related costs are actually quite complicated. I'd start with weld deposit for eacht proces (in kgs or lbs per time unit), welder efficiency (arc time in %), and work from there.

Why don't you weld up some sample coupons using one of your welders and your WPS's cross section and macro-etch to determine. The depth of pass is determine by travel speed, current and position.

help can come from :
"Design of welded structures" - Omer W. Blodgett - The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation - Part 7.5 Estimating Welding Cost

@Kingero. Thanks for your reply i will check carefully all manufacturers catalogues or datasheets hoping to find such data if available
@weldstan, Even it would be hard to do that now, but I will try this option as soon as the work allows to, thanks mate for you valuable advice.
@robyengIT, Currently checking Blodgett Document which I think it is remarkably detailed and amazing, thx for you reply and time.
Thank you all guys for your help and i wish you all the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back