Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld Penetration 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirRider04

Automotive
Sep 7, 2004
CA
I know this is probably too broad a question but any thoughts are helpful.

Are there any guidlines/standards for acceptable weld penetration?
I realize material type, weld wire, etc. do contribute.

For instance I have a drawing with a 3/16 bevel weld that states "welds must penetrate amd adhere to both pieces".
Is there any way to be more specific about weld penetration?

Thanks

AirRider

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Basically, what is being stated is that groove (bevel) welds shall be full penetration. The added statement of adhering really means fusion of the weld metal to the base metal.

It could be re-stated and shown with weld symbols on a shop drawing that groove welds shall be full penetration. Information on standards or guidelines can be obtained thru the American Welding Society (AWS). Go to the aws.org website.

There'll likely be a flood of weld specs and/or requests for more info listed here soon but in my experience (automotive) penetration is usually 10% of parent material (verified by cut&etch). If you haven't been given a better (proper) spec to work to, this would likely satisfy your needs.

We usually validate production welds with cut&etch comparison to spec criteria as well as a physical tear-down (must tear parent material)

*Without data, you're just another person with an opinion.*

Hydroformer

In the fabrication world, the requirement for welds to have full fusion is assumed, after all, a non fused weld isn't contributing anything to the joint other than taking up space. Verification of fusion is provided in procedure qualification through various destructive tests. Weld penetration is called out by way of a symbol and sometimes supplemented by drawing notes. The note you have referenced is not as clear as most, which typically say something like ' full penetration required', but the symbol attached to the joint should convey the requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back