Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Weld Qualification with Stress Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStephen

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2004
US
Certain items are specified to be stress-relieved in API-650.
Normally, (thermal) stress-relief would be considered a PWHT in the weld qualification, and is one of the essential variables in ASME Section IX.
Now, I seem to recall a statement either in API-650 or in one of the interpretations of API-650 that said stress-relief per the standard did NOT need to be considered in the weld qualification process (I don't remember the wording, just the effect). Which is contrary to what I'd expect, but advantageous in the qualification process.
After some searching, I have yet to find anything like that.
Did I just dream that? Or does anyone know where anything like that is stated?
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi JStephen,

I had a thorough look through API 650 and also could not seem to find anything regarding this.

I spoke to our welding inspector to see if he could shed any light on this but he advised that we actually do have a seperate weld procedure to cover us for welding stress relieved assemblies.

Sorry i cant be of anymore help.

Regards

Since API uses ASME welding standards, perhaps asking in the ASME or welding forums if weld heat treatment is part of the weld procedure and qualifications when the assembly is PWHT.

Pretty sure it is in ASME, so not sure where that other distant memory is coming from! Thanks for confirming, though!

9.2.1.4 Welding variables (including supplementary essential variables when impact tests are required by 9.2.2), as
defined by QW-250 of Section IX of the ASME Code, shall be used to determine the welding procedure specifications
and the procedure qualification records to be instituted. In addition, when impact tests of the heat-affected zone are
required, the heat-treated condition of the base material shall be a supplementary essential variable. Plates produced
by the controlled-rolled process are not to be considered as having received any heat treatment.
If a protective
coating has been applied to weld edge preparations, the coating shall be included as an essential variable of the
welding procedure specification, as required by 7.2.1.9.

This is from APi 650 12 ed. in the Qualification of Welding Procedures paragraph.

I Also looked in the interpretantions but I didn´t see anything related, I think this is the part that you seek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back