Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

weld reinforcement grinding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fazel1

Industrial
May 7, 2005
IR
is there any limitation in grinding the welds of shell to shell joints when fabrication of the vessel is based on ASME SecVIII div1? can we flush theweld totally by grinding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless things have changed there is not limitation on smoothing a weld. The caveat is not to thin the material in the area of the weld.
A term sometimes used for this procedure is plannish even though p;annish really refers to hammering or rolling.

It is a require for all our equipment used in polymer manufacture. We will also planish welds of NDT testing. Even fillet welds will get smoothed out for PT testing.

I've yet to see a pressure vessel be fabricated yet in our shop where the shell to shell butt joints (welds) weren't ground flush. It seems to be a pretty standard practice in the industry.

Brian

If the weld reinforcement is left in place, then the weld efficiency is no longer 100%- in full penetration welded butt joints, weld efficiency will be reduced to what I think back is 90%.

chicopee said:
If the weld reinforcement is left in place, then the weld efficiency is no longer 100%- in full penetration welded butt joints, weld efficiency will be reduced to what I think back is 90%.[/quote chicopee]

Weld reinforcement is permitted based on the thickness and category of the welds (B&C for butt and other welds) per UW-35 for longitudinal and circumferential joints.

Weld reinforcement has nothing to do with efficency. Maybe you are thinking about Section I? Up untill the 1980's you only got 100% when the reinforcement was removed. Review UW 11 and 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back