Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

weld repair on plate 150 mm ASME and thickness of tensile specimen

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisLac

Materials
May 5, 2012
CA
For a 10mm repair on a 150mm steel plate, my test coupon shall be about 115mm (1.33xT) with a 5mm (2xt) weld deposited metal. For tensile specimen, do I have to test the full thickness 115 mm of the test coupon?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't quite understand the question. Code?

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

According to ASME section IX the thickness of tensile test specimens shall be represent the full tickness (115mm) of the test coupon. So if my supplier send me a PQR with only 16mm for the thickness of tensile test specimen, it's not conform to ASME section IX, right?

The short answer is no.

The idea of reduced section tensile testing in ASME IX is to test the weld, not so much the base metal. However, base metal thickness is an essential variable.

You want to make a 10mm deep repair on material 150mm thick. In the full thickness scenario you describe, the weld makes up only a small percentage of the cross section, so that a full thickness tensile test would not be useful in evaluating the weld.
The WPS used to weld on the 150mm plate (if one exists) would cover any and all repairs.
So while it is not explicitly stated in the Code, Code logic informs me that you only need test that portion of the cross section containing weld, or 5mm.
Read QW-202.3 carefully; it seems to say that 1½" thick base metal is sufficient for procedure qualification (up to 8" will be qualified).

It might be easier to qualify a full penetration weld on 1½" thick base metal. This would allow the qualification of two processes up to 8" deposit thickness. Refer to Table QW-451.1.

I am open to being corrected here, because there seems to be minimal direction for this in ASME IX.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back